It's Oscars season once again and we're already excited for the big winners. With the 95th Oscars ceremony taking place on March 12th, the list of nominations has already been released. And surprisingly, Netflix got a total of 16 nominations for its Netflix Original movies and documentaries.
Here is a list of all the Oscar nominations Netflix got for this year:
All Quiet on the Western Front
All Quiet on the Western Front is a war drama set in Germany 1914 which follows a group of men who enlist in the war. The movie is based on the 1929 book of the same title written by Erich Maria Remarque. It received a total of nine nominations, which is the second most nominated title after Everything Everywhere All at Once's 11 nominations.
- Adapted Screenplay: Edward Berger, Lesley Paterson, and Ian Stokell
- Best Picture: Malte Grunert
- Cinematography: James Friend
- International Feature Film: Germany
- Makeup and Hairstyling: Heike Merker and Linda Eisenhamerová
- Original Score: Volker Bertelmann
- Production Design: Christian M. Goldbeck (Production Design), Ernestine Hipper (Set Decoration)
- Sound Design: Viktor Prášil, Frank Kruse, Markus Stemler, Lars Ginzel and Stefan Korte
- Visual Effects: Frank Petzold, Viktor Muller, Markus Frank, and Kamil Jaffar
Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths is a 2022 Mexican black comedy-drama about a journalist who comes home to Mexico and starts having dreamlike visions as part of his existential crisis. It received one nomination for:
- Cinematography: Darius Khondji
Blonde is a fictionalized take on the life of the iconic actress, Marilyn Monroe. The story is based on a 2000 novel of the same title written by Joyce Carol Oates. It received one nomination for:
- Actress in a Leading Role: Ana de Armas
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
One of the much awaited films in 2022 was Rian Johnson's sequel to Knives Out entitled Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery. It is a murder mystery film that brings back Daniel Craig for his role as detective Benoit Blanc. The film received one nomination for:
- Writing Adapted Screenplay: Rian Johnson
The Sea Beast
Netflix's animated film, The Sea Beast, received one nomination in the Oscars as well. The film follows a sea monster hunter who is joined by a young orphan as they search for the Red Bluster.
- Animated Feature Film: Chris Williams and Jed Schlanger
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio
Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio reincarnates the classic 1883 Italian novel by Carlo Collodi. This iteration, however, is artistically crafted through stop-motion animation. It received one nomination for:
- Animated Feature Film: Guillermo del Toro, Mark Gustafson, Gary Ungar and Alex Bulkley
The Elephant Whisperers
The Elephant Whisperers is a documentary that follows a couple who have devoted their entire life to take care of Raghu, an orphaned baby elephant. The documentary earned one nomination for:
- Best Documentary Short Film: Kartiki Gonsalves and Guneet Monga
The Martha Mitchell Effect
Another Netflix documentary that received an Oscar nomination is The Martha Mitchell Effect. It follows the story of a cabinet member's wife who was gaslighted into silence during Watergate and Nixon's administration.
- Best Documentary Short Film: Anne Alvergue and Beth Levison
Here's wishing good luck to the nominees! You can check out the full list of nominees here.
The 95th Oscars will be on March 12, 2023 and will be broadcasted on ABC. It will also be available to stream on Disney+.
RELATED: Steven Spielberg Believes the Oscars Robbed Fan-Favorite Batman Film of Best Picture Nod