Prince Harry is in the middle of a legal dispute over his security request to personally pay for police protection in the UK. Royal biographer Angela Levin didn't just like but was annoyed with one of the reasons the Duke of Sussex stated during the first hearing.
Prince Harry Faces Fury From Royal Biographer Over Security Dispute
The Duke of Sussex requested to pay for police protection to ensure her family's safety when they travel to his home country. Prince Harry said he didn't feel safe in the UK.
He took filed a claim for judicial review after the Home Office rejected his request twice. The first hearing happened on Friday at the Royal Courts of Justice in London. Prince Harry did not attend. However, his rep was present.
Royal biographer Angela Levin reacted to the royal's statement. The Harry: Conversations with the Prince author was upset with his argument mentioning the line of succession.
"What annoyed me incredibly is he said he was in the immediate line of succession," Levin told LBC, per Express. "Does he really think he's got a chance to be king when he's behaved like this?"
She continued, "The Queen's got to stand up to it. I think she's got to stop him being the Counsellor of State and that means when she can't manage or unwell, they become stand-ins. They go to meetings and they sign documents."
Royal correspondent Richard Eden said earlier that the palace was allegedly considering the removal of Prince Harry and Prince Andrew as Counsellor of State. However, the process might not be easy and would require new legislation because the role is enshrined by the Regency Acts 1937-53.
What Did Prince Harry Say During The First Hearing For His Security Request?
Shaheed Fatima QC, represented the Duke of Sussex during the hearing. In the court document, Prince Harry reiterated why he wanted to travel back to the UK and stressed the need for police protection.
"This claim is about the fact that the claimant does not feel safe when he is in the UK given the security arrangements applied to him in June 2021 and will continue to be applied to him," she said.
"It goes without saying that he does want to come back to see family and friends and to continue to support the charities that are so close to his heart. Most of all, this is and always will be his home."
Prince Harry argued that Ravec's decision to decline his request was unlawful and unreasonable because he offered to pay for the police protection and he was still in the immediate line of succession to the throne, BBC reported.
Prince Harry felt the need for police protection after his car was chased by photographers when he traveled to the UK last year for the unveiling of his mom Princess Diana's statue. Fatima added that "the claimant asked the defendant to engage in alternative dispute resolution."
Meanwhile, the government lawyers said the duke's offer to pay for police protection was "irrelevant" to how officials decide over royal family security because personal police protection "is not available on a privately financed basis."
They found the duke's claim meritless and wanted it to be dismissed.
Stay tuned for more news and updates about Prince Harry and the other members of the royal family.
For more articles like this, take a look at our Pop Culture page.