03 Jun 2016 7:08 PM +00:00 UTC

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story Reshoot Rumors Debunked, What To Believe

Here's what's really going down at Lucasfilm.

This week saw numerous rumors emerge about what's happening with the production of Gareth Eddward's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. It all began with a report saying the movie is having to undergo weeks of "expensive" reshoots because Disney execs didn't like the first cut of the film. After that, details on the possible reasons for the reshoots have popped up. From the movie's "tone" not matching that of previously released Star Wars films, to a young Han Solo (Alden Ehrenreich) cameo, then today's new slew of hearsay claiming J.J. Abrams is involved and almost half of the film is being reshot.

If you're confused, it's completely understandable. In fact, we are too. We want to clarify which of those rumors are true or not, and we may have just gotten the answer from Entertainment Weekly which claimed their information comes from high level sources at Lucasfilm.

Advertisement

According to the site, the sources have spoken to them "independently and anonymously." It's worth noting that official studio sources declined to comment to the media outlet noting that they don't respond to rumors.

The only truth to the rumors are the following, as stated in the EW report:

> "The film...is undergoing four to five weeks of reshoots, beginning this month and ending just days before the Star Wars Celebration fan event in London on July 15."
> The reshoots have been planned from the start, which is "standard practice now for large-scale films...so filmmakers can tweak a movie after the first assembly cut."
> Christopher McQuarrie is not involved, Tony Gilroy is.
> The schedule for the reshoots was moved from spring to this summer to give Edwards leeway to make changes to the film.
> The film still has a grittier tone.

One source said:

Advertisement
The changes have everything to do with clarity and character development and all take place [as inserts] within scenes we've already shot.

Another source detailed how the new footage is of "a lot of talking in cockpits."

Obviously, there's no need to panic. As we, and probably other Disney-Lucasfilm fan expected, the reshoots had been planned from the beginning all along. There's no crisis going on with Rogue One, and production is completely in control. Of course people close to the movie had a good laugh over the rumors.

One source said:

If we were rewriting the movie and reshooting 40 percent of movie, we would not be finishing in August. People reallywouldbe panicking – and changing the release date.

As to those Christopher McQuarrie rumors, they are completely false, as the Oscar-winning screenwriter already confirmed.

EW's sources confirmed that while McQuarrie contributed in Rogue One's early draft, other involvement he has in the movie stops there. The new collaborator on board the project is Michael Clayton writer-director Tony Gilroy, who joined in the spring "to offer notes on the first cut and write some additional material to enhance the story."

Advertisement

Since Gilroy has worked with Kathleen Kennedy's husband Frank Marshall, the Lucasfilm President, as well as the story team, trusts him, according to a source. Gilroy is also assisting Gareth Edwards as a second unit director in the reshoots.

The final clarification is something that fans would be glad to know – the movie will retain its gritty tone.

A source said:

The movie is very different than [The Force Awakens], and that's intentional. It's a war film.

Apparently, there were also no test screenings.

It looks like all the rumors remain what they are – false speculations.

However, one thing is certain after some of the footage are unveiled at Star Wars Celebration Europe 2016, says one source:

Advertisement
People will go insane.

It's all true, and we're very excited!

Star Wars Celebration Europe 2016 will be held at London's Excel Centre from July 15 to 17, while Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will hit theaters on December 16.

Read: Rogue One Props and Costumes Will Be Showcased in Star Wars Celebration Europe

Read: ‘Mark Hamill's Pop Culture Quest' Series Coming to Soon to Comic Con HQ

Read: These Stunning Star Wars: The Force Awakens Props Are Now For Sale