Princess Charlene has become one of the most talked-about women in the world. People continue to dig details from her days as an Olympic swimmer to the present state of her marriage with Prince Albert of Monaco.
Over the past year, Princess Charlene has suffered from health issues, which resulted in her staying in South Africa for six months. She was later admitted to a Swiss treatment facility, where she remained for more than four months.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Kate Middleton Shock: Prince William's Wife 'Dreading' About Her Reunion With Meghan Markle And Prince Harry? Duchess Reportedly Not Excited About Queen Elizabeth's Platinum Jubilee Celebrations
Now, new reports claim that Prince Albert is paying Princess Charlene $18 million a year to continue performing royal duties as part of an alleged “ultra-confidential contract.” Keep on reading to know more details.
Princess Charlene Being Paid Millions By Prince Albert To Stay By His Side?
Woman’s Day New Zealand, in its May 16, 2022 issue, claimed Voici magazine reported Prince Albert signed an agreement to pay Princess Charlene a whopping $18 million annually to continue performing her royal duties. However, unnamed pals of the royal couple vehemently denied the allegations.
A source close to Princess Charlene told Page Six:
“Of course, she has a generous prenup, but Albert doesn’t have to pay her to stay. After being away for so long during her illness, Charlene is so happy to be back with Albert and the kids. They spend every weekend at their country place. Albert is fully supportive of Charlene and is also helping her with her charities.”
After being away from the limelight for more than a year, Princess Charlene made her first sudden public reappearance with her husband of 11 years and their seven-year-old twins – Princess Gabriella and Prince Jacques – at the E-Prix in Monte Carlo on April 30. She was later seen with her family at the Saint Devote Rugby Tournament on May 7.
Interestingly, Paris Match Belgium, as per Woman’s Day New Zealand, also made similar claims. The publication reported that Prince Albert would himself pay a tidy sum to Princess Charlene so that she would appear at his side at public events.
Another informant pointed out that Monaco royals do not receive a salary, and Princess Charlene may need the money. An unidentified informant close to the royal claimed:
“Of course, the princess enjoys huge perks, but ready cash is not guaranteed. It would certainly make sense for Charlene to try to secure her own guaranteed income.”
The palace is yet to comment on the contract scandal. However, earlier this year, Prince Albert revealed that Princess Charlene, who spent most of the last year in South Africa away from her husband and children, was “doing much better.”
Avid followers of Princess Charlene and Prince Albert should take all these unverified reports lightly until everything is proven true and correct.
Princess Charlotte Reportedly ‘Almost Died’ In South Africa
Meanwhile, Page Six previously claimed that Princess Charlene “almost died” in South Africa after undergoing multiple surgeries and losing a significant amount of weight. The royal reportedly fell ill while visiting the country in May 2021, and the series of surgeries delayed her return to Monaco until later that year.
Close friends of Princess Charlene said, at the time, they were concerned the Monaco royal family had been underplaying the seriousness of her condition after Prince Albert said in an interview that his wife had gone into rehab upon her return to the principality.
Prince Albert told People that Princess Charlene’s ailment was the result of “several factors which are private matters.” A source told Page Six:
“It is unfair that she is being portrayed as having some kind of mental or emotional issue. We don’t know why the palace is downplaying that she almost died in South Africa.”
The same insider insisted that Princess Charlene had severe ear, nose, and throat infections, which resulted in “severe sinus and swallowing issues stemming back from an earlier surgery.” The informant shared:
“She has not been able to eat solid food in over six months because of all the surgeries she has since gone through. She has only been able to take in liquids through a straw, so she lost nearly half her body weight.”
Princess Charlene returned to Monaco in March after a four-month stint in a Swiss health facility where she was treated for “emotional and physical exhaustion.”
Stay tuned to EpicStream for the latest news and updates about Princess Charlene!
For more articles like this, take a look at our Pop Culture page.