It looks like Warner Brothers really may have some pretty big plans involving Star Wars and Star Trek director J.J. Abrams.
News about the Star Wars: The Force Awakens and Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker filmmaker's involvement with Warner Brothers came out last month when word started spreading that Abrams was in final talks to sign with the studio for a half a billion-dollar deal.
Though the transaction has yet to be confirmed, a new article by Variety says that WB's new WarnerMedia CEO, John Stankey, flew into London last September to begin talks with Abrams. The article notes that the deal between WB and the director will have Abrams working on movies, shows and even videogames for the studios various platforms.
Stankey doesn't confirm that the deal has been reached yet, but in an interview with the entertainment news outlet, the WB CEO can't help but heap praise on the director in charge of the revival of the Star Wars franchise.
"Why somebody like J.J. is so interesting to us is because they're incredibly creative and accomplished at what they do and they have this great curiosity about wanting to do things across different platforms," says Stankey. "Try different things. Work on different technologies to see if new formats can be developed."
This is definitely big news. We can only assume that Abrams might be brought in to help with WB's DC Extended Universe – rumors are going around saying that the director may be tackling films for Superman and for Green Lantern. Of course, these rumors could be wrong, but we could hope that WB is going to assign Abrams a few films for the DCEU.
Warner Brother's next DC film, Joker, premieres on October 3, 2019.