It was reported earlier that Boardwalk Empire and The Wire star Michael K. Williams was cast in the Han Solo movie, and after all the news of reshoots and Ron Howard taking over the director chair, it looks like his part in the movie was eventually cut.
Talking to Deadline, Williams explained that his part was cut due to his unavailability to be in reshoots:
"When Ron Howard got hired to finish out the film, there were some reshoot issues that needed to be done in regards to my character, in order for it to match the new direction which the producers wanted Ron to carry the film in… And that would have required me on a plane a month ago to London, to Pinewood, to do reshoots. But I'm here, on location in Africa. It's scheduling. I'm not going to be back on the market until the end of November after [his SundanceTV series] Hap and Leonard, and for them to wait that long for me, that would have pushed back the release date, which I believe is in May 2018. They wanted me now; I couldn't go. So they had to clip-clip-clip."
Williams is a character actor who often does very threatening and no-nonsense roles, and he says that his character in Han Solo would have been a half-human, half-animal who would have been a "kick-ass character."
Despite the role being cut, Williams is still positive about his future with the Lucasfilm family and hopes that he could appear in future Star Wars projects down the line. He says:
"I don't think that me not being in the Star Wars family is final…I left with a very good taste in my mouth about the whole family, and I hope that I left a good taste in their mouth. They're a great group of people, the Lucas family."
Williams won't be in it, but Han Solo: A Star Wars Story comes out May 25, 2018.