Disney CEO Confirms There Will Be Less Star Wars Films In Production

share to other networks share to twitter share to facebook

There is little doubt that Star Wars fans are delighted that they are getting more films these days. Unfortunately, that could change in the near future. Disney CEO Bob Iger has just confirmed that the studio will be producing less Star Wars movies.

Iger had previously stated that there were too many Star Wars films that were released in the past few years. The Disney CEO has doubled down on those comments on BBC Radio. While promoting his new memoir The Ride of a Lifetime: Lessons Learned from 15 Years as CEO of the Walt Disney Company, Iger clarified why the franchise needs to slow down.

"I have said publicly that I think we made and released too many Star Wars films over a short period of time," Iger said. "I have not said that they were disappointing in any way. I've not said that I'm disappointed in their performance. I just think that there's something so special about a Star Wars film, and less is more."

Advertisement

It's an interesting statement considering that most people believe that Iger was unhappy with how the Star Wars movies performed in the box office. However, he has an interesting point. While all Star Wars films are special, people would appreciate them more if they were rare and few between.

The statement comes at an interesting time since Game of Thrones showrunners David Benioff and DB Weiss have just stepped away from their planned Star Wars trilogy. Could this mean that the project will be sacked because Iger wants less of these movies in production? We'll need to wait for an official announcement to be sure.

The next film is Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, which premieres on December 20.

Related: Star Wars: Luke Skywalker's Lowest TLJ Moment Mirrors Iconic Return Of The Jedi Scene