The Harvey Awards is one of the most prestigious awards for the worldwide comics industry, and recently, the 2022 nominees were released. Among the Harvey Awards 2022 nominees are Chainsaw Man and Spy x Family.
The nominees for six categories were revealed on the Harvey Awards website. These include Book of the Year, Digital Book of the Year, Best Children’s or Young Adult Book, Best Manga, Best International Book, and Best Adaptation from Comic Book/Graphic Novel.
Here are all six nominees for Best Manga at this year’s Harvey Awards:
- Blood on the Tracks by Shuzo Oshimi, translated by Daniel Komen (Vertical Comics)
- Blue Lock by Muneyuki Kaneshiro and Yusuke Nomura, translated by Nate Derr (Kodansha Comics)
- Cat + Gamer by Wataru Nadatani, translated by Zack Davisson (Dark Horse Comics)
- Chainsaw Man by Tatsuki Fujimoto, translated by Amanda Haley (VIZ Media)
- Red Flowers by Yoshiharu Tsuge, translated by Ryan Holmberg (Drawn & Quarterly)
- Spy X Family by Tatsuya Endo, translated by Casey Loe (VIZ Media)
It’s surprising and unprecedented to see both manga be nominated for the second year in a row. This is a testament to their popularity and quality.
In case you’re unfamiliar, the Harvey Awards are given for achievement in comic books, and it was founded by Harvey Kurtzman back in 1988. Since 2017, the awards were presented at New York Comic Con.
Both Chainsaw Man and Spy x Family are ongoing manga series that are serialized in Jump+.
Chainsaw Man began in December 2018, and it initially ran on Weekly Shonen Jump. Meanwhile, Spy x Family started serialization in Jump+ in March 2019.
The two manga have proven to be among Shueisha’s most popular new series, so much so that both series have anime series adaptations.
The Harvey Awards 2022 voting is now open for comic industry professionals, and voting will end on September 2, 2022. Winners will be announced at New York Comic-Con which will happen from October 7-9, 2022.