Where to Stream The X-Files' Director's Cut? Chris Carter's Scarier Take Guide

the x-files i want to believe 2008 film

the x-files i want to believe 2008 film
  • Primary SubjectThe X-Files: I Want to Believe - Director's Cut
  • Key Update: Creator Chris Carter is releasing a brand-new, significantly scarier director's cut of the 2008 film to restore his original vision.
  • Status: Confirmed for digital streaming release
  • Last Verified: May 21, 2026
  • Quick Answer: The X-Files: I Want to Believe - Director's Cut arrives on Disney+ on June 11, 2026, as an added bonus feature.

Nearly twenty years after its theatrical release, The X-Files: I Want to Believe is getting a massive, terrifying second chance. Series creator Chris Carter has announced that a brand-new, significantly scarier Director's Cut of the 2008 film is officially heading to Disney+ soon.

Finally free from studio interference, Carter is promising fans the uncompromising horror experience he originally intended to put on the big screen.

When Does The X-Files' Director's Cut Arrive on Disney+?

the x-files i want to believe 2008
expand image
Credit: 20th Century Television

The X-Files: I Want to Believe finds Mulder and Scully called back to duty by the FBI when a former priest claims he's been seeing psychic visions about a certain kidnapped agent.

Carter originally wanted a different vision for the feature-length tale. While the physical media release included a few minutes of unseen footage, it's not the entire plan the director had in mind. Carter had been teasing his work for years, and now it's soon coming to fruition on Disney+!

A press release from Disney+ previews the new titles arriving on the streaming service this June 2026, which includes the Director's Cut for The X-Files: I Want to Believe, premiering on Thursday, June 11, 2026, as a long-awaited bonus feature!

Why Chris Carter Decided to Release The X-Files' Director's Cut

As for why it took Carter years to release his true vision for The X-Files, he explained in an interview on the Fail Better With David Duchovny podcast last year. In the interview, Carter detailed the new Director's Cut he was working on at the time, teasing that it was the "scary movie" he had originally wanted for I Want to Believe.

"I just got the go ahead to do a Director's Cut of I Want to Believe. I can't tell you how excited I am about this," Carter told the outlet the main reason why the released version wasn't as scary as he wished it would be, "I made it too scary, basically, and I was told so by the brass at Fox, and they wanted a PG-13 movie. So we cut it back to be a PG-13 movie."

Carter noted that while they tried to satisfy the demands of the studio and critics alike, they still had to cut extra. So much so that it was far off from the original: "I can tell you that you can do more on network television... [the censors are] more permissive than they are for the movies."

"Now, I have a chance to go back and make the scary movie that I always intended to make," Carter added, "It's not just doing a Director's Cut to do a Director's Cut. It's really kind of bringing to life something that for me was on the page and never got to the screen."

By injecting the highly anticipated psychological horror and unfiltered dread stripped away by MPAA and studio executives, the Director's Cut promises to give a completely fresh perspective on Mulder and Scully's second cinematic outing.

Meanwhile, fans will have to wait and see once The X-Files: I Want to Believe - Director's Cut arrives on Disney+ on June 11, 2026.

Keep it locked on EpicStream, your go-to site for film, TV, and celebrity coverage!