14 Nov 2018 7:44 PM +00:00 UTC

Venom Cinematographer Arrested After Attacking Medical Officials And Police Officers In Poland

It looks like Matthew Libatique, the cinematographer of both Venom and Birds of Prey, may have found himself in a bit of trouble.

According to a new report by TVN24, a Polish news outlet, Libatique was just recently arrested this Tuesday for allegedly assaulting public officials in Bydgoszcz, Poland. The Hollywood cinematographer was attending the Camerimage Film Festival in Poland when he was found "staggering" outside of his hotel . However, when medical rescuers started coming to his aid, Libatique started attacking the paramedics and the police officers present.

"The patient suddenly became aggressive toward medical rescuers, used offensive words and hit the head of the emergency medical team," emergency official Krzysztof Wisniewski told TVN24.


Not only did one of the paramedics sustain injuries from Libatique, but the cinematographer also broke his tooth. According to Wisniewski, Libatique then proceeded to attack several police officers that arrived on the scene.

"Mr. Libatique was involved in an alleged incident that led to his detention and being held on a potential charge of assaulting a police officer and a paramedic here in Bydgoszcz," reads the statement issued by the Camerimage Film Festival. "This is now a legal matter that the festival is not in a position to discuss. We can make no further comments at this time."

This is disappointing news in the face of Venom's success. Right now, the film is receiving overwhelming support from the international film market, inching closer to $700 million at the worldwide box office. Despite being an Oscar-nominated cinematographer known for his work on A Star Is Born,Black Swan, Mother!, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and Venom, these assault charges on Libatique could affect his job prospects in the future. It might also affect DC's decision to hire him for Birds of Prey.

Venom is currently screening in cinemas.

Read: Marvel Comic Book Writer On Lee's Visit 48 Hours Before His Passing