Meghan Markle and Prince Harry confirmed their attendance at the Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebration next month. However, royal correspondent Daniela Elser believed their attendance would receive mixed responses from the royal fans.
Meghan Markle And Prince Harry's Jubilee Attendance Can Be 'Astounding,' But Cynical Mind Would Think Differently
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex visited Queen Elizabeth last month before they headed to the Netherlands for the Invictus Games. They also met Prince Charles during their stop in the U.K., but not the Cambridges, who were on a ski trip.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle confirmed earlier this month that they would return to the U.K. with their children Archie, 3, and 11-month-old Lilibet to be with the royals in celebrating the Queen's 70 years on the throne.
Daniela Elser weighed in on the couple's decision. According to him, it will be taken differently.
First, Elser said that Prince Harry and Markle's willingness to "sign on as supporting guest stars" is "nothing short of astounding," Express reported.
However, she felt that they were forced to accept a downgraded role because they would not be included in the list of royals who would join Queen Elizabeth on the balcony during the Trooping the Colour.
"This is Harry and Meghan being forced to accept a downgrade while the world watches on," she added.
Elser also felt that the "more cynical" mind would have another take on their attendance at the event. She believed some would think the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would only attend because it's the "biggest royal PR event in a decade rolls around."
Meghan Markle And Prince Harry Not Making A Balcony Appearance
The Queen announced earlier this month that she would limit the royals who will join her on the balcony during the Trooping the Colour to the working royals. So, Prince Harry, Meghan Markle, and Prince Andrew didn't make it to the list.
"After careful consideration, the Queen has decided that this year's traditional Trooping the Colour balcony appearance on Thursday 2nd of June will be limited to Her Majesty and those members of the Royal Family who are currently undertaking official public duties on behalf of the Queen," a Buckingham Palace spokesman said in a statement, People reported.
The royals who will join the Queen will include Prince Charles, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, Prince Willliam, Kate Middleton, Princess Anne, Prince Edward, Sophie, Countess of Wessex, and some of Her Majesty's cousins.
However, according to Finding Freedom co-author Omid Scobie, the Sussexes themselves already told the Queen before the palace's announcement that they didn't want to make a balcony appearance.
"Prince Harry had already spoken with his grandmother about the possibility of not attending Trooping the Colour long before last week's announcements," Scobie wrote. "I’m told by a source that the Duke of Sussex had actually expressed some time ago that he and Meghan were very keen to be a part of the Jubilee engagements, including the National Service of Thanksgiving at St Paul’s Cathedral, but less so for the formal balcony moment, which was felt on both sides to be more appropriate for their lives prior to stepping back."
Stay tuned for more news and updates about the royal family.