Magic: The Gathering's Next Ban & Restricted Announcement Reportedly Won't Change Historic Format

Earlier this week, Wizards of the Coast announced that they intend to provide an update to Magic: The Gathering's Standard format early next week, but they didn't say if any other Constructed formats like Historic, Modern, or Pioneer will also get changes. However, a recent response from Grand Prix Dallas Champion Austin Bursavich on Twitter says that no changes will be made in the Historic format in next week's announcement.

expand image
Credit: WOTC

"They emailed us," Bursavich said. "They didn't say it was confidential or anything, and they told us so we could be comfortable testing it so I assumed I could share the info."

Bursavich was informed about the MTG 2020 Grand Finals that will take place on October 9-11, and the formats will be Historic and Standard Constructed. With the Standard format expecting to see changes next week, the 32 players qualified to play in the Grand Finals most likely received confidential information about that since the decklists are reporetedly due on Monday, October 5, and they will only have one week to prepare and fine-tune their decks from next Monday's expected announcement.

expand image
Credit: WOTC

For now, it looks like Historic will not get any changes next week at all, but Standard will mostly likely get a card or two banned. Ever since Zendikar Rising was released digitally on MTG Arena last week, ramp decks that use Lotus Cobra and Uro, Locus of Creation have been dominating the meta, but Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath might be the card that will get axed from Standard.

What do you think Wizards will change in Standard next week? Let us know in the comments section below.

The 2020 Grand Finals event will have a $250,000 prize pool.

Related:MTG Designer Reveals Which Mechanic Was Cut From Zendikar Rising

This Article's Topics

Explore new topics and discover content that's right for you!

Fandoms
Have an opinion on this article? We'd love to hear it!