If you're wondering how to use a VPN on your Android device we're here to help.
A VPN or Virtual Private Network, allows you to browse online with a secure, encrypted connection. It disables others from being able to see your browsing habits or your location and therefore keeps things private.
If you value your privacy and are looking to start using a VPN on your Android device there are several ways you can go about this.
In this article, we'll take you through easy-to-follow steps to get you started using a VPN on your Android device.
Let's jump straight in!
How To Use A VPN On Android
Choosing A VPN
Before you start, the first thing you'll need to do is to choose the VPN you want to use. With hundreds of options to choose from, it can be a little tricky to narrow down, so here are a few things to look out for.
- Free Vs Paid VPN: Paid VPNs tend to be the best as they offer the greatest quality, no ads, data caps or speed throttling. There are of course several good free options, however, paid versions tend to be better.
- It is worth noting that many paid VPNs, such as Surfshark or Atlas, offer large discounts or introductory offers if you want to test any of them out.
- Security: There are several security features worth looking out for such as a 'kill switch' which automatically blocks any traffic if the VPN connection drops.
- Usage: Not all VPNs will let you do whatever you want, for example, some will not allow access to various streaming services or other online features.
- Logs: Some VPNs do not keep activity or connection logs, which could be good for those requiring the highest levels of privacy.
How To Use A VPN On An Android Device Using An App
Many of the best VPN services will have apps available. As an example, we'll use ExpressVPN, though the process should be virtually the same for each app.
- On your Android device navigate to the ExpressVPN website.
- Find the ".APK" download page and then select the "Download" button.
- Once downloaded, a pop-up will appear asking if you want to install the application. Press "install". Once installed, select "Open".
- After the app launches enter your credentials or sign up to create an account.
- After you have created your account and logged in, simply press the power button to connect to the VPN.
How To Use A VPN On An Android Device Without An App
In order to use a VPN on your Android device without using an app, you will need to acquire login credentials and a server address from your VPN provider or network administrator.
- Launch the "Settings" app on your device.
- Navigate to "Network and Internet", then select "Advanced" and then "VPN"
- Next, on the top right of the screen select "Add VPN". Here you'll need to enter your VPN details, username, password and server address and then select "Save".
- Once you have done this, navigate back to "Network and Internet", "Advanced" then "VPN" in your "Settings" app.
- Select the VPN you added and log in using your credentials.
- Select "Connect" and your VPN is ready to use.
So, there you have it, now you should be able to use a VPN on your Android device and enjoy private browsing.
Below is a list of some of the most popular VPNs available that we think could be worth checking out.