Marvel fans might be eagerly anticipating the arrival of the X-Men in the MCU, but it turns out that the finalization of the Walt Disney Company's acquisition of 21st Century Fox is actually hurting the studio's latest X-Men film entry, Dark Phoenix.
Now that Disney's merger with Fox is nearing completion, marketing executives from the studio anticipate a major change taking place, a change that is set to affect Dark Phoenix.
According to Vanity Fair, last month, Fox's marketing and distribution departments gathered together with Dark Phoenix director Simon Kinberg to help draw up a plan for the film's release. However, while Fox tried its best to deal with the film's marketing campaign, the studio's different departments were also distracted by the buyout and how it would affect their operational systems.
"We know when we are dropping a trailer, but we are nowhere near where we should be at this time. It's frightening. I would be mad if I were a filmmaker," Fox film executives said. "Nobody has come around and said, ‘This is what's going on.' Why can't they just tell us that there is no place for us? Why can't they let anyone know? We are not leaving because we didn't make money for the company or we did a bad job. We are leaving because of pure capitalism."
As if Dark Phoenix didn't already have enough trouble to sort out. Not only is the film set back with poor trailers and marketing campaign schedules, but it's also been weighed down by a troublesome production. Dark Phoenix had extensive reshoots, a bloated budget, and a couple of release pushbacks. Though we do hope for the best, it's hard not to expect Dark Phoenix to be affected by all of this.
X-Men: Dark Phoenix is set for release June 07, 2019.