Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is already expected to premiere early next year but the highly anticipated sequel is still undergoing reshoots right now. But what scenes actually need to be filmed all over again? Benedict Cumberbatch explained that they are trying to work on sequences that were impossible to shoot when the project was still in production.
The Marvel Cinematic Universe sequel actually began filming in November last year but needed to be put on hold in January this year. Production resumed in March before finally wrapping in mid-April. However, that doesn't mean that work on Doctor Strange 2 is finally over.
New reports confirmed that Doctor Strange 2 started reshoots in early November and is expected to continue filming for the next six weeks. So why has the cast and crew been reassembled this time? Benedict Cumberbatch told Empire magazine that it has a lot to do with making the movie even better.
"We're working incredibly hard to make a schedule work to realise the full potential of the film – bits that we want to do better but also bits that were just impossible to do on the day because of logistics, COVID etc.," Cumberbatch said.
The Avengers: Endgame star was also quick to point out that the Doctor Strange 2 production had faced several problems in the past. For the reshoots, the cast and crew are reportedly taking their time.
"We were so delayed in production, because of that. Luckily, not during production too much. Although everything is just a little slower," Cumberbatch said.
It's easy to understand the reshoots' relaxed pace. Doctor Strange 2 isn't due to hit theaters until May next year due to several MCU projects being pushed back in 2022. With that in mind, director Sam Raimi and his crew are confident they have plenty of time for post-production.
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness is scheduled for release on May 6, 2022. In the meantime, Benedict Cumberbatch returns as the Sorceror Supreme in Spider-Man: No Way Home, which will hit theaters on December 17, 2021.