News had come out last week that Tom Holland had been instrumental when it came to Sony and Disney keeping Spider-Man in the MCU. We didn't have any details when that rumor came out, but Disney CEO Bob Iger has shared his side of the story with Holland.
Talking to Jimmy Kimmel Live, Iger explained that Holland had tried his best to try and contact him, and even joked that Holland was in tears trying to get Spider-Man back in the MCU. Iger says:
"… It was clear that the fans wanted Tom back as Spider-Man, made by Marvel and our Marvel production team. After D23, Tom reached out to folks who worked for me, said, ‘Can I please have Bob's e-mail address or phone number?'… We spoke and he basically made a—he cried on the phone. It was clear that he cared so much."
Long story short, Holland was able to push Iger to try and call Sony, and the studios were able to come to a deal "for Tom and for the fans."
You can watch Iger tell the story here. The bit starts at 7:35:
After a month of stressing out over the split, fans had breathed a collective sigh of relief when it was revealed that Sony and Disney had struck a new deal. Though it's only for two more films, fans are crossing their fingers that Marvel gets to continue participating in the Spider-Verse in the future, maybe even sharing some of their characters for Sony.
For now, we wait for Spider-Man 3 which is set to come out July 16, 2021.