Meghan Markle, Prince Harry Shock: Sussexes Asked Queen To Move In Windsor Castle But Was Offered Frogmore Cottage

share to other networks share to twitter share to facebook

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry received Frogmore Cottage from Queen Elizabeth II as their residence in the U.K. However, there were claims that they were initially eyeing to move to Windsor Castle.

Meghan Markle And Prince Harry Allegedly Asked Queen To Move To Windsor Castle

The Duke and Duchess stayed at the former's cottage at Kensington Palace after their engagement in 2017. However, following their 2018 royal wedding, the pair wanted a bigger space to grow their family.

Advertisement

Prince Harry and Markle wanted bigger and allegedly planned a scheme to improve their standard of living. So, they approached Queen Elizabeth II and asked her about moving into Windsor Castle. However, Her Majesty disagreed and found the proposal "inappropriate" because Windsor Castle had been the home of British kings and queens for almost 1,000 years. It is the monarch's official residence. So, she gave them Frogmore Cottage instead, according to Sunday Times (via The Sun).

"There are empty bedrooms and suites in the private apartments within Windsor Castle which the Sussexes may have had their eye on, or perhaps some former living quarters in the castle grounds converted into other things," Hugo Vickers told Express. "But I can see how it might not be entirely appropriate to have a young family living there."

READ: Kate Middleton, Prince William's PDA Very Different From Meghan Markle, Prince Harry

Meghan Markle And Prince Harry Accepts Frogmore Cottage

The royal couple accepted Frogmore Cottage as their official residence in England. However, they had the place renovated before they moved there.

Refurbishing Frogmore Cottage cost £2.4 million, and the taxpayers paid it through the Sovereign Grant. However, the royal couple said they would repay it when they stepped back from their royal duties.

ALSO READ: Prince Harry Shock: Former Met Chief Accused Meghan Markle's Husband Of 'Creating Scenarios That Do Not Exist' Over Security Concerns

Advertisement

In September 2020, Prince Harry's spokesman said the duke already paid the bill in full by making a contribution to the grant. The property remains the Duke and Duchess of Sussex's residence, BBC reported.

At present, Prince Harry's cousin Princess Eugenie, her husband Jack Brooksbank, and their son August occupy the place. The Princess of York moved there when she was expecting her baby in November 2020.

Prince Harry also stays in Frogmore Cottage when he visits the U.K.

Stay tuned for more news and updates about Prince Harry, Meghan Markle, and the royal family.

RELATED: Prince Harry Heartbreak: Queen Elizabeth Won't Give In To Meghan Markle's Husband's Security Demands