Eddie Redmayne Confirms Fantastic Beasts 3 Production Start, Says COVID-19 Delay Was 'Helpful'

share to other networks share to twitter share to facebook

It looks like things are finally working out for Fantastic Beasts 3. Eddie Redmayne has just confirmed that the sequel has finally resumed production. In addition to that, the star of the Harry Potter spin-off films stated that the delay brought on by COVID-19 was actually "helpful" to the project.

Redmayne recently spoke to Cinemablend about his new project The Trial of the Chicago 7 but also discussed how Fantastic Beasts 3 was supposed to start filming earlier this year.

Advertisement

"We were meant to start – we'd done a pre-shoot day just before we went into lockdown here. We'd shot on a Friday night, and then on the Sunday night, we'd meant to start shooting proper on Monday, and we got a call on that Sunday night saying we're not doing it," Redmayne said. He then pointed out that the delay felt like a good thing for director David Yates and the rest of the crew.

Credit: Warner Bros.

"Then we had this six-month period and, absolutely, the creatives – certainly David Yates and [myself] – were talking about using that time. Whether it was in the visual effects or working on things. I think it's really important. You're always trying to make the best work possible, so I feel like it has been helpful in some ways," Redmayne concluded.

Although the delay allowed the crew to be fully prepared for working on the sequel, this could also mean that the premiere of the sequel will be moved back as well. Nevertheless, we can't rush creativity so we're hoping that Redmayne is right about that.

Advertisement

The still-untitled Fantastic Beasts 3 is currently scheduled for release on November 12. 2021.

Related: New Trailer for Hogwarts Legacy Brings Us to Hogwarts in the 1800s