We already know that Jonathan Frakes is capable of directing some of the greatest Star Trek films. However, it looks like there was one project that the Star Trek: Picard actor really wanted to tackle. Frakes admitted he wanted to helm Star Trek: Nemesis.
Frakes recently spoke to IGN where he admitted that Nemesis was the one Star Trek movie that he really wanted to work on but he was never offered the chance to direct it.
"I wish I had been," Frakes said. He then added that it was a project he would be interested in, his agency probably didn't want him to work on it.
"I probably would have [done the film]. I know that my representation, they thought that it would not be a great idea just doing Star Trek after Star Trek," Frakes said.
Director and star of Star Trek: First Contact, Jonathan Frakes sat in for IGN's WFH Theater to reveal new tidbits about the film, such as how Data and the Borg Queen TOTALLY had sex ?https://t.co/wh7uJjSwzf pic.twitter.com/FM2m2gsF4D— IGN (@IGN) May 3, 2020
Nemesis was the tenth movie in the Star Trek film franchise and served as the final one that featured the cast of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It also featured future Venom actor Tom Hardy as Praetor Shinzon, the main antagonist and clone of Jean-Luc Picard.
Although Frakes never got to work on Nemesis, he still got a chance to work with TNG co-star Patrick Stewart all over again in Star Trek: Picard. Frakes even reprised his role as Will Riker in addition to directing some episodes of the show's first season.
Frakes is expected to return for Star Trek: Picard Season 2. However, CBS All Access has not yet given the second season an official release date. Stay tuned for more updates on this story.