On Thursday's episode of DailyMTG and on Blogatog, Rosewater teased some unique abilities of Zendikar Rising cards we can expect.
Here's what you can expect from Zendikar Rising:
• A white creature that can make an opponent lose the game simply by attacking them no matter how much life they have
• A multicolor creature that lets you repeatedly reanimate permanents out of your opponent’s graveyard for no mana
• Three creatures with five creature types
• An artifact granting +2/+2 to a subset of creatures that first appeared in Alpha
• X being used for a variable it’s never been used for before
• a 6/6 artifact creature that costs 3 and a 7/5 artifact creature that can cost 3
• The return of four mana symbols that have each only ever been used on two cards before
• Lands that come with a choice you’ve never had before
• Targeted enchantment removal in black
• A red/white creature with a line of rules text that starts with “Whenever” and ends with “draw a card”
• A card with three different activated abilities that all copy something
Here are snippets of rules text, you’ll see:
• “three plus”
• “different converted mana cost X or less”
• “equal to 20 minus”
• “Cowards can’t block Warriors”
• “don’t lose unspent red mana”
• “twice the number of equipment”
• “If it’s the third time”
And finally, here are some creature type lines you’ll see:
• Leviathan Crab
• Shapeshifter Rogue
• Demon Cleric
• Wurm Horror
• Hydra Horror
• Cat Horror
• Angel Wizard
We already know about that the "twice the number of equipment" is from the new Planeswalker card, Nahiri, Heir of the Ancients. There are also some strange creature types with multiple Horror creatures.
It's also worth noting that Black gets an enchantment removal, but I wonder how it will be different from your typical green or white enchantment removal cards.
"Lands that come with a choice you’ve never had before" seems to match one of the cards that was reportedly leaked.
Zendikar Rising is set to release on September 25, 2020; it will release on MTG Arena on Sept. 17.
Related: Zendikar Rising Battle Pass Will Include Custom Emotes, Card Styles & More